What you can do to avoid problems with customs?

When you apply for a non-immigrant a visa at the consulate or at the American Embassy, the official will check for the documents of the applicants to understand if the candidate is eligible or not to enter the American territory.

The eligibility is evaluated not only for the fulfillment of legal requirements established, but also for the risk or probability that the traveller can immigrate illegally to the States.
For this reason, there are special measures which can avoid the risk of denial of visas. One of these is to demonstrate the link with your country: it is to prepare documents, better if official documents, that prove your family ties outside the United States, as in certificate of birth, marriage or divorce, or widowed status, and documents that prove the status of the family, including if you have children.

Another trick is to prove a wealthy economic position that allows your stay in the USA. To this purpose several documents can be useful such as: work contracts, certifications of business property, income statements, documents proving student status, current accounts, savings, investments, savings fund, goods of any type, loans or leasing contracts, pensions or other income.

Demonstrating the link with your country is fundamental for obtaining the visa.

Although you should submit any document identifying the applicant, the consular officer is not obliged to examine the documentation supplied.

In the case of application for a tourist, transit or business visa, it can be useful and practical to have an invitation letter written by an American citizen or from any other type of permanent resident, or, anyway, from any other person residing legally in the United States.

Depending on the requested visa, the documents that must be provided are different, as, for example, between a student visa and one from temporary work. It is always good to provide the documents listed above as they are fundamental for any application for a visa.

It is not uncommon that visas get rejected (one in five). The motivations are different and articulated, but they relate almost always to the economic sphere and ties with the country. The official may not approve a visa if there are economic shortcomings in the submitted documents and with the failed release it avoids that the applicant remains in the country illegally.

Other reasons for visa denying are: Health requirements not met, crimes committed in the past, illegal residence in the country for more than 3 months. In these cases, the prohibition to return in the United States varies from three to ten years.

Phone numbers and addresses of the U.S. Embassy in London, UK, and the United States General Consulate in Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff.

Phone numbers of the U.S. Embassy in London for visas and other permissions to travel.

Telephone: [44] (0)20 7499-9000
From the United States 703-439-2365.

The service is available Monday to Friday from 7:00 to 21:00 CET except on Sundays and public holidays.

S. Embassy in London

24 Grosvenor Square, London W1A 2LQ, United Kingdom

24 Grosvenor Square
London, W1K 6AH
United Kingdom

24 Grosvenor Square
London, W1A 2LQ
United Kingdom

Phone: [44] (0)20-7499-9000

S. Consulate Edinburgh, Scotland

3 Regent Terrace – Edinburgh EH7 5BW

Phone [44] (0)131 556 8315
Fax        [44] (0)131 557 6023
Email: [email protected]

Our hours of operation are  Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
All offices are closed on Saturday, Sunday, and  U.S. and U.K. public holidays.

S. Consulate General in Belfast

Danesfort House – 223 Stranmillis Road – Belfast BT9 5GR

Phone: [44] (0)28-9038-6100 (NOT for visa information)
Fax: [44] (0)28 9068 2219

S. Virtual Consulate in Cardiff

c/o U.S. Embassy London
24 Grosvenor Square – London, W1A 2LQ – United Kingdom

Phone: From Wales: [44] (0)29-2002-6419

Outside Wales: [44](0)20-7499-9000

Get your ESTA Visa in 3 easy steps!

1. Complete the application form in full.

2. Confirm personal and payment information.

3. Receive a confirmation email from us shortly.